Collaboration: Highest Form of Professional Development

 

"If you drop one person into the jungle, you've fed the animals.  If you drop 100 people, you've introduced a new apex predator."

                                    - Jimmy Carr


  Growing up, I believed that teaching was an independent endeavor.  The teacher closes the classroom door, and does whatever it is they are going to do.  I was fortunate that most of the teachers I had worked tirelessly to deliver instruction and meet the needs of the students in the room.  However, that is not always the case.  I took two years of high school Spanish and 80% of the time I spent there was watching Garfield cartoons (they were in Spanish at least) and talking about the virtues of mexican food.  While I did truly enjoy the class, I can't honestly say I learned any spanish (I mispronounced 'quesadilla' for way longer than I'd like to admit.).

  There is a comfort in isolation.  Teachers feel free from the judgement and scrutiny that can cause stress and anxiety.  Especially if they have any negative feelings about their own performance.  Side note:  Students in the class can have those same feelings.  That is why many of them withdraw and refuse to participate in class if given the choice.

  As a brand new teacher, I could have very easily fallen into the 'protect myself' trap.  I was unsure of my skills.  I'd never student taught and I was surrounded by staff members who were great at their job.  I was scared they would see me as the weak link.  The school I was working in was very forward thinking for the time.  They assigned an experienced teacher to me (it was a mentor, but they didn't call it that) whose sole purpose was to guide and support me.  They did this for every "newbie" in the building.  Once a week, all of the "newbies" and their mentors met as a group.  The purpose was to talk about struggles and successes and hear from the folks who had been where we were.  It was a PLC before PLC.  This process taught me how to be vulnerable and honest because I knew there would be no judgement in the room.  Only support.  Effective collaboration requires trust. Teachers must feel safe sharing challenges, asking questions, and admitting when something did not work as planned.

When that culture exists, schools become places where professionals support one another rather than compete with one another.

Teachers begin to say things like:

  • “What strategies are working in your class?”

  • “I’m struggling with this concept—how are you teaching it?”

  • “Let’s look at this student’s work together.”

These conversations build relationships and create a shared commitment to student success.

  Today, research and experience show that collaboration among teachers is one of the most powerful drivers of school and student improvement.  When people work together, they are able to:

  • Share effective strategies
  • Analyze data effectively
  • Provide consistency in terms of quality
  • Support one another professionally and emotionally
  In other words, collaboration turns teaching into a team sport.

  No single teacher has all of the answers.  Even those with the most experience continue learning throughout their careers.  Collaboration allows teachers to combine their expertise in ways that elevate the quality of the educational experience for all students.  I believe the saying is, "A rising tide lifts all boats."  Every school leader has had the thought of 'I wish I could take her enthusiasm and positivity and this other teacher's content knowledge and put it in the same person."  In other words, if you could take the best qualities from each member of your staff and Frankenstein a teacher from that, they would be one of the best teachers in the world.  

  • Teacher 1 is great at questioning strategies for deeper thinking
  • Teacher 2 is great at designing hands-on learning activities
  • Teacher 3 is great at assessment practices that clearly measure mastery
  • Teacher 4 is great at classroom management
  Imagine if all of these traits were in all of the teachers in the building.  What would the school look like?  Would it be a place you would want to send your kids?  Collaboration is the process that moves toward that reality.

  By working together, teachers expand their knowledge, refine their practice, and ensure that every student AND fellow teacher benefits from the collective wisdom of the entire staff.  Isn't that the purpose of professional development?  

    














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recharging the Mission: A Superintendent's Trip Back to the Classroom

Investing in Our Future pt 3: Can an Arkansas Public School Survive on Only 25 Mills?

Cost of Ambition