It's About People, Not Stuff
I am fortunate to be the only Superintendent chosen to represent Arkansas in the Thompson Executive Leadership cohort 32. As part of this esteemed group of educators, I had the privilege of travelling to Puerto Rico and touring a few of the public schools there.
It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my professional life. My heart was filled with pride, hope, and joy while we watched passionate educators practice their craft in conditions that would be considered unacceptable here in the states.
1. School buildings were 107 years old.
2. No air conditioning. (The library was the only room on campus with a window unit air conditioner). Puerto Rico does not have seasons as we know them. It is 85 degrees minimum every day of the year. It was 88 degrees inside the classrooms on the day we visited.
3. No textbooks in classrooms. IF there were textbooks, there were usually less than 10 and had to be checked out at the library.
4. Library shelves contained between 50 and 100 books for schools of 450 students (many books that were available were incomplete encyclopedia sets).
5. Extremely limited or no playground equipment.
6. All athletic facilities were outdoors.
7. Instructional technology and internet access are present, but unreliable.8. Up until recently, starting teacher pay was $18,000. Today it is $30,000. Median household income for Puerto Rico is $75,000 annually.
9. Over 90% of students are living below the poverty line (median household income for this particular school was $24,000 annually).
10. 34% of students in the schools that were observed required special education services.
We may look at this incomplete list and see a situation that makes delivering a high-quality education impossible. However, the reality is, none of those issues impeded the quality of instruction and student engagement. These schools were among the top 10% in academic performance of all schools in Puerto Rico (they are mandated to have similar summative tests for accountability purposes as schools in the United States). How?
There is not a simple answer to that question. If I had to distill my experience down to one thing that is the driving factor for all of the great things happening in these schools, it would be MINDSET.
From the moment we stepped on these campuses, you could feel a sense of community and pride. The students and staff were eager to share their school with us. We were greeted by students and staff with smiles, enthusiasm, and music.
The culture of the school was permeated with respect, gratitude, and a commitment to excellence. The campus had the phrase "Welcome to this happy place!' in several locations. This was not just for decoration; they made it a reality. It truly was happy. I could feel it in every room I walked into, and in every person I met. That mentality was infectious. I was in classrooms with sweat rolling. Even though I was physically uncomfortable, there was no where else I would have rather been. The greatest compliment I can give a school is that I would be proud to send my own children there.
This trip taught me that a lot of the things that we think are necessary for success are not. A successful high-performing school is due to the PEOPLE inside it and the COMMUNITY that supports it.

Comments
Post a Comment