Self-Awareness and Legacy

 


" Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones.  A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you."
    - Shannon L. Adler


  I was very fortunate this past school year to meet a man named Dr. Fran Murphy.  While the time I spent with him was brief, his knowledge, sharp mind, and passion for education made a lasting impression on me.  Sadly, I learned that he passed away less than two months of our paths crossing.  The following is an excerpt from his obituary:

It's with heavy hearts and loving memories that we’ve just learned of Dr. Fran Murphy's passing. Fran wasn't just a teacher ... he was a life coach for the soul, armed with wit and wisdom and an endless repertoire of tales ... most of which were true. 

Fran dedicated most of his life to education, shaping the lives of countless students, colleagues, and communities. He was a principal, school superintendent, and college professor and dean. Among his many school leadership roles, he served as Director of the International School of Belgrade in the former Yugoslavia. He later trained school superintendents across numerous states, always championing leadership, integrity, and the power of education. 

Fran was more than just an academic and leader. Fran filled every space he occupied with his booming laugh, infectious energy, and stories that could turn even mundane moments into unforgettable adventures. 

As a teacher, Fran didn't just teach; he mentored. He didn't just inform; he transformed. His students, colleagues, and friends walked away a little brighter and happier, buoyed by his relentless belief in the power of humor, kindness, and education to change the world. 

 As I read the tribute to Dr. Murphy, I started thinking about legacy.  Every educator leaves behind a legacy.  However, not all legacies are the same.  Some are remembered for their intelligence, others for their kindness or rigor, and some, unfortunately, for moments when they fell short.
  So, what makes the difference?  Self-awareness.  It is the ability of an educator to know themselves, understand their impact, honestly reflect, and intentionally grow.  A teacher's tone, mindset, values, and emotional presence impact students in ways that extend far beyond the classroom.  It shapes the student's worldview. 
  Classrooms reflect more than curriculum, they reflect the teacher.  Frustration, joy, patience, insecurity - all of it leaks into the classroom.  A self-aware teacher recognizes that influence and asks hard questions of themselves:

  • Am I showing up in ways that build trust?
  • Do I listen more than I speak?
  • How do my personal biases affect how I treat students (and people in general)?
  Many people think that legacy is something that others define after we are gone.  But for educators, legacy is built every single day with each hallway interaction, every comment during a lesson, every moment of discipline or grace.  ALL of it contributes.

"If the school was to hang a picture of you in the building, and underneath it list your two greatest contributions to the district, what would it say? What would you WANT it to say?"

  These are questions that I posed to my staff this year.  A self-aware teacher knows that their legacy is not left by accident.  It is the culminating product of countless small choices made with intention.  The second question above gives the reader a vision for themselves and what they want to be.  

  The most lasting legacies are not etched on a plaque or award or test scores.  They are felt in the way that students learned to believe in themselves.  An educator who leads with honesty and purpose creates more than learners.  They create leaders, dreamers, and difference-makers.

   Our legacy isn't what we leave behind, it is what we awaken in others.  Dr. Murphy's students walked away from him brighter, happier, and uplifted.  I am fortunate to call myself (albeit for an extremely short time) a former student of his and that is exactly how he made me feel.  We should all aspire to make that kind of difference.

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recharging the Mission: A Superintendent's Trip Back to the Classroom

Investing in Our Future pt 3: Can an Arkansas Public School Survive on Only 25 Mills?

Cost of Ambition