Sell the Problem, NOT the Solution

 



"It isn't that they can't see the solution.  It is that they can't see the problem."

                                                                           - Gilbert K. Chesterton


Recently, I had the opportunity to attend the Thompson Executive Leadership Institute.  During this training Dr. Thompson made a statement that made me reevaluate how I approach solving problems and how I engage with people whose help is essential to successfully navigating challenging situations.  He said, "sell the problem, not the solution."

Most who choose administration as a career see themselves as problem solvers or "fixers."  Once we identify a problem, we work on solving it with tunnel vision level focus.  Most problems though, can't be solved by one person.  It takes a coordinated effort from a team of people to address the various complexities that come along with most issues.

Knowing that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, I would put forth a large amount of effort into building "buy-in" with my team in regards to the solution that I had determined was the best course of action. I put 90% of my effort into selling the solution.

My efforts were met with varying degrees of enthusiasm and commitment.  Most efforts made were done solely out of compliance, and any enthusiasm that was present at the beginning, quickly began to fade.  I was puzzled by this response.  Why didn't they want better?  Why are they willing to accept a situation that is less than ideal?  Well, the answer is simple, I sold a solution to a problem they didn't believe existed.  We have all heard the old adage, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.'  I was selling a fix for something that, in their minds, wasn't broken.  

Most people, by nature, want to help.  They want to be part of the solution.  If they recognize that a problem exists BEFORE a solution is offered, they will engage much more readily in the problem solving process.  Their investment in finding a successful solution will be exponentially greater because they will feel a sense of purpose, that they are valued, and that they are making a difference.  

As leaders, it is common to feel like it is our responsibility to solve all the problems that come our way.  To quote Dr. Thompson again, "it is NOT your job to solve all the problems.  It is your job to make sure the problems get solved."  

General Patton said, "Never tell people how to do things.  Tell them what to do, and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."  As leaders we can still offer valuable support without solving the problem for them. If we offer guidelines instead of solutions and parameters instead of fixes, we will often find that our team is more than up to the challenge.  If a solution is presented that fits the guidelines, let them try it.  

This approach will build leadership capacity, grow problem solving skills, and foster individual investment in the outcome.   

The leader has to be an active participant in this process in lockstep with the team. By focusing my efforts on selling the problem, not only do I open their minds to potential change, I get them to initiate it and lead the charge.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recharging the Mission: A Superintendent's Trip Back to the Classroom

Investing in Our Future pt 3: Can an Arkansas Public School Survive on Only 25 Mills?

Cost of Ambition